Black Girl in a Big Dress

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Black Girl in a Big Dress Poster

In the past I've only used this blog to post about books, BUT I HAVE TO DO MY PART AND TELL THE WORLD ABOUT THIS NEW WEB SERIES.

The other day I fell down a YouTube hole and tripped over a web show called Black Girl in a Big Dress. The show was created by Aydrea Walden, it's about an African American girl who who loves to cosplay play as if she's in the Victorian times, poofy blue dress and all. When Adrienne, our cosplayer, tries to bring the simplicity and romance of Victorian times into 2017 (at least I assume it's 2017) the chaos beings.

As black women (and all women of color) continue to demand equality in the job market, over our bodies, over our hair for goodness sake, it's important not to forget about the "little" things such as visual representation on book covers, and nerd culture. I know that as a lover of anime (which is hard enough in a family of sports fans) I've been terrified to go to an event in cosplay. It can be hard enough just walking through life as myself (I've had a coworker stick her hands into my natural hair as she pondered how I got it to look that way, not to mention all the comments on how "well spoken" I am... please stop being impressed by that), I don't need to be gawked at and whispered about in costume as well. Shows like this are empowering. They tell black women and girls that it's okay if you don't listen to Solange or watch Django Unchained. Be 100% true to yourself and everything else will fall into place...

Well, I think that's what the show tells us... We're only eight episodes in.

I'M READY!!!

Looking for more information on the show? Get it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts